If you are looking to beautify your home’s landscaping without taking a huge toll on the environment around you, it can be difficult to wade your way through the hardware or garden supply store. By investing a little bit of time before the chill of winter sets in, you can enjoy your yard all fall and winter long. Putting a little bit of effort into using environmentally-friendly methods can help you save the world—literally!
Keep Your Lawn Looking Luscious
If you did a good job over the long summer keeping your lawn looking great, the fall is an easy time for you. Here are some easy projects to knock out while the weather is nice:
- Aerate: Once water starts to gather in certain spots of your lawn, punch holes in the soil with a garden fork or a powered aerator. Aeration works by removing plugs of your soil so that water can get down to the roots, instead of just accumulating on the surface.
- Fertilize: Use a fertilizer mix that is environmentally friendly and high in phosphorous to help prepare your landscape for fall. Also consider mulching any perennials that you have in your yard to keep them from falling victim to the freeze thaw cycle that is common in late fall and early spring.
- External Faucet: Consider changing your external faucet to one that is freeze proof so that you don’t need to worry about burst pipes during the chilly winter. This will also help stop you from wasting any water (another environmentally-friendly practice).
Cozy Up Your Landscaping
All of the beautiful fall and winter decorations you use on the inside of your home are designed to help it feel cozy and warm, so why not do the same thing for your landscaping outside?
- Install a new walkway, like a brick walkway, from the driveway to your home’s entrance. This can help your shoes from falling victim to the winter slush, last longer, and keep your yard looking beautiful all winter long.
- Recycle your veggies by putting them outside! Pumpkins, gourds, squash, and even berries look beautiful with just a little bit of a natural preservative applied to the outside. Once the festive season is over, you can even compost them to be extra environmentally friendly.
Pinehurst Landscape Company for All of Your Fall and Winter Landscaping Needs
Pinehurst Landscape Company provides professional landscaping design for you throughout the year. We have over 50 years of experience in the landscape design field and we are experts in making functional, beautiful, and environmentally friendly yards. Our designers work with you one on one to make sure you end up with a finished product that you love. Visit us online or give us a call at (410) 592-6766 for more information. To see examples of our work, be sure to follow us on Houzz, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.